Sunday, May 13, 2007

Victoria Smith wins SMS Essay Contest

Victoria Smith captured first place in the fourth annual South Middle School Essay Contest.
"This is the closest contest we have had in the four years we have held the contest," said Mr. Randy Turner, eighth grade communication arts teacher and contest sponsor. "Only two points separated our first place winner from the third place winner.
Taking second place was Taylor Tressler, who won the annual Joplin Elks Lodge Essay Contest during the fall semester. Faith Mowry finished third.
Rounding out the top 10 were:
Fourth, Breanna Martin; Fifth, Demi White; Sixth, Dylan Prauser; Seventh, Jordan Chambers, Eighth, Raycee Thompson; Ninth, Colten Hawkins; 10th, Rachelle Hughbank.

Others placing in the top 20 were: Christen Cool, Zach Davis, Makenzie Freeman, Will Kessler, Mollie Sanders, Tim Scroggins, Braden Showers, Dylan King, Tori Mardis, and Ken Zhang.

The theme for this year's contest was "How I Can Make a Difference." The contest was judged by Joplin High School students who did well in the contest when they attended South.

Prize money will be awarded this week. The students will receive certificates during the annual Awards Assembly and Talent Show on the last day of school, Thursday, May 24.
The text of the top three entries is printed below:

PROBLEMS AT HOME
By Victoria Smith


All of the time people are saying "What can I do to make a difference?" Oh, I know- end world hunger, or stop the war, or go to Africa to help the people there.

It's really amazing how people feel like they have to travel all the way to Africa to make a difference, go all the way to Africa to stop hunger and to fight against life-threatening diseases, when so much of that is going on in our own United States, especially after Hurricane Katrina.

Watching "Idol Gives Back" the other night, sitting there, I was getting upset because they were raising all of that money to go to Africa and only a little to go to kids and other people here.

I know that the people over there are living in extreme poverty but it's not so easy over here either.

Everyone always thinks of America as a wealthy place and perfect, and the land of opportunity; sure that is true to a certain extent, but I also know the flip side. I know what it is like to be poor. I know what it is like to be homeless. I know what it is like to be at the bottom looking up, hoping, waiting, praying for a change in life, praying that things will get better.

So when you ask me what do I want to do to make a difference- I want to help kids who are going through what I went through to let them know that things will get better. I want to build facilities to get homeless people off the streets and out of trouble. I want to have enough money to donate towards fighting diseases, donate to places like Salvation Army and Soul's Harbor.

But for right now, I can just do volunteer work at nursing homes and places like the Salvation Army and the Boys and Girls Club and helping with the Special Olympics. That's what I will do until I am able to reach my goals and do it right!

HOW CAN I MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
By Taylor Tressler


How can I make a difference? That is probably the hardest question I have ever been asked. When I think of making a difference I think of Rosa Parks who stood up for what she believed in, or Robert Kennedy who fought and helped the less fortunate. Then I look at what I have done which isn't much compared to the people that did so much more.

So how can I make a difference? I could make a difference by donating money to the poor or serving food at the homeless shelter. I could run a marathon to fight cancer or go door-to-door selling little pieces of paper to raise money to help find a cure for a deadly disease. Or is there more than that? Isn't there something else I can do? I could do things that have never been done.

I could go to school every day until I become a doctor and help people stay alive and healthy. Or become a teacher and help kids achieve the goals they have for their lives.

Making a difference is a hard thing to do. To make a difference you have to lead a good life doing good for others. Not being afraid to show people your weaknesses. To make a difference you don't have to save a life, or find a cure, all you have to do is try your best to be you and do the things you want to do. Accomplish your goals and always try your best and you will have made a difference all on your own, by doing nothing but being you.

THE BRUTALITY OF WAR
By Faith Mowry

War is a brutal thing that splits countries apart and causes racial difficulties. Soldiers are brave to go fight in wars. I could make a difference in their lives by writing a simple letter showing my appreciation towards them; they don't always get the credit they deserve.

Although there are a lot of groups and charities that give to soldiers, it doesn't quite mean as much as it does when it comes from a single person the soldier is fighting for. It means a lot when a person says, "Thank you for leaving your family and your life here so I can stay safely with mine."

I could make a difference in a soldier's life by taking a few minutes out of my day to write to them, which isn't much when you think about all that they give up for you. I would write about my day, and how I am so happy to be able to be free an that when I sit at home I imagine my brother fighting in the war and that I hope we win soon so I can see him once again, so the worries can escape my head and life can be normal once again.

Life may be normal for that little five-year-old, but after that soldier gets done fighting, it changes dramatically.

A simple thank-you note may not sound like much, but it can make a big difference.

***
The text of other essays in the top 10 can be found at the original Room 210 website on the 2007 Essay Finalists Page.

No comments: