Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Eighth graders studying "The Diary of Anne Frank"


By RAYCEE THOMPSON
Room 210 Staff Writer

Can you imagine being 13 years old and being forced to go into hiding to stay alive? Anne Frank and her family had to. Just because they were Jews they were persecuted for their beliefs. Thousands of Jews were killed during the Holocaust. It's just sickening and sad.
In our library, we have some books about Anne Frank and the Holocaust such as: "The Diary of Anne Frank," "Anne Frank: The Life of a Young Girl", and "The Attic: The Hiding of Anne Frank". Those are just a few.
Altogether we have 12 books about Anne Frank available in our library. Plus, if you go to www.room210.com and you go to the links page you will find some links for information about Anne Frank.
In Ms. Andrea Taylor's reading class, eighth graders are reading the play of "The Diary of Anne Frank". While reading the play they are asked,"How can you relate to Anne Frank?"
Breanne Diles said, "Anne is energetic, I'm energetic so I can relate"
Taylor Johnson said, "I can relate to Anne Frank because she's 13 years, and I'm around that age."
"What really interested me about her," Breanne Diles said, "is how she managed to stay in a small place for so long and not go crazy."
Taylor Johnson said, "She was about my age and she went went through all that... I can't even imagine going through all she went through."
Anne Frank's story is sad, but true. Anyone can relate to her some way or another. If Anne Frank hadn't kept a diary teenagers probably wouldn't care much about the history of the Holocaust because we wouldn't have anything to relate to.
"Anne's story is so sad," Taylor John said, "but now that I can relate I crave to know more about this event in history."

No comments: