Friday, March 28, 2008

Eighth grader goes to jail


(One South Middle School student spent part of his spring break in jail, but things were not as bad as they sound. Bret Gibson's father is is law enforcement and took his son to work with him one day during the break. One of their stops was the Jasper County Jail.)

By BRET GIBSON

For spring break, instead of hanging out with my friends like other kids would, I went to jail.
Now I may have to failed to mention, it was with my dad. I asked him if I could go to work with him on Friday. He agreed, so we went to the Jasper County Sheriff's office. He took me on the tour.

First, we went to central control. That's where one guy controls everything in the jail. Next, we went to the tower. That is where you can see all of the cells and watch the prisoners. There are A to F pods. Each pod is broken into a split level with each level holding 10 cells, two levels per pod.

A pod is for your basic prisoners who have to do their time at county. B Pod is for women in jail.

C Pod and D Pod are for the same as A Pod. E Pod is for the child molesters and F Pod is for the murderers.

After we took the tour, we went to McDonald's for lunch.

No comments: