Friday, October 05, 2007

Update from Russia


(Miss Sheri Medlock, former SMS reading teacher, is teaching in Russia, and is providing us with weekly updates.)

Greetings friends!

Big events this week:

* I had a good time at the Wolfes' home group. We are discussing the Purpose Driven Life.
* Church Sunday was also very good. After church Masha and I took a walk. She showed me an Orthodox church. Then Rex, Sue, John, Masha, and I played cards. The best part of this evening for me was that Masha and I are continuing to develop a friendship.
* Yesterday I had a language lesson with Masha. After studying Russian for an hour, we spent sometime discussing spiritual things. It was good and encouraging for both of us, I think.


Victories this past week:

* I continue to acclimate to my new environment.
* I've spent a lot of time praying this week for the home group that we are starting on Saturday. This time has renewed my purpose for being here.

Struggles this past week:

* As always, I struggle with headache and other pain. But God continues to give me grace.
* Still no books.

Daily Walk:

* I continue to memorize 1 Peter.
* I'm also finishing Richard Foster's Streams of Living Water. This weekend I read a chapter discussing the inerrant of Scripture. But he also pointed out that only Christ is supreme. That the Bible is a tool to point to Christ. This renewed my passion for reading the Word, but also my passion for knowing Christ more intimately.

Ahead this week:

* Saturday morning Masha is taking me sight-seeing. Again, we continue to develop a friendship. I pray that I can be an encouragement to her in her walk with the Lord.
* Saturday we start the home group, with or without the books. It is my prayer that we will decide to be more then just another group. I pray that the believers who come will decide to love and honor one another. I pray that we will be a place of fellowship and outreach.

Prayer Requests:

* Pray I will be a witness of Christ to my students and to the other teachers.
* Pray for Saturday. Pray that those who have stated they will come show up. Pray for the decisions we make as a group.
* Pray we get the books.

Grace and peace,
Sheri

No comments: