Thursday, May 01, 2008

A special day for special athletes


By SARAH KESSLER
Room 210 Editor

"A race is on the way... please clear the track!!" The stadium speakers blared over the field for everyone to hear. When I heard these words, I directed my gaze over the field to the starting line where three athletes stood, crouched in a starting position. The gun sounded and they were off, running like the wind, at least two of them were. The third was running, but not like the wind. I felt compassion for the little boy who was lagging behind, but I also felt respect. Even though this athlete at the 2008 Special Olympics wasn't winning, he just kept going, running as fast as he could down the track.

Seeing this boy's perseverance made me realize how honorable people with mental disabilities really are. Even when all the odds are against them, they just keep going. They keep going until they reach the end. Despite the ridicule they face from their peers and the doubt they receive from the world, they never quit. Whether it's reaching the finish line in a race, or reaching high school graduation, these kids will persevere. No matter how much better we think our minds are, we can all learn a lesson or two from kids with mental disabilities.

In the past two years at South Middle School, I have had the amazing opportunity to be a peer tutor. Through this experience, I have really gotten to know some to the kids in the special needs class at my school, and I never cease to be amazed at how strong those kids are. I don't just mean physically strong, but strong in character and in heart.

Kids with Down's Syndrome and other similar disabilities are made fun of on a daily basis, yet they hold their heads high and continue to be some of the nicest kids in school. I can't even imagine how hard these kids work just to learn things like how to spell their name and how to count to ten. They have my respect for their amazing work, kindness, and perseverance.

The athlete finally crossed the finish line and the crowd went crazy! From my seat in the bleachers, I could see the boy smiling as the crowd applauded him. I smiled too. He had finished the race, and even though he didn't cross the finish line first, he was a winner.

1 comment:

Angela Mense said...

VERY well-put, Sarah! Your article literally gave me chills....more than once.
A. Mense