Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Anorexia is topic for winning sixth grade essay

By INDIA COLEMAN
(Note: The following essay took first place in the South Midde School Sixth Grade Essay Contest.)
Anorexia is the biggest problem facing today's youth. Anorexia is where you stop eating or after you eat, you make yourself throw it up. They do this because they think they are fat> Half the time they are too skinny to begin with.
I know from experience. Last year, I tried to starve myself.
I lost a lot of weight. I go to a psychologist now so I'm better, but not much. I still almost have to force myself to eat. I'm still not crazy about the way I look.
Anorexia can lead to many horrible things. It can lead to a deep depression, death, or even suicide. Thankfully, I only suffer from depression, but it feels awful. I feel like I'm always in a bad mood. I get made fun of a lot, too.
Barbie has something to do with this. They make her so perfect. All girls think all women should look like her. Girls as young as four years old have problems.
I believe anorexia is the biggest problem facing youth. We can't let it keep happening. More children are dying. They need our help. Make them eat! They do not want to be so thin it's deadly.

No comments: